Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sector
The chemical and pharmaceutical industries are concerned with protecting the results of long-term, expensive research. Disputes also arise over the distribution of products in foreign markets. Also, regulations are increasingly implemented in this sector, often bringing about conflicts. We advise our clients in such disputes, for example, over fair licensing terms for essential patents (FRAND licenses) or compliance with the REACH regulation on handling hazardous chemicals.
A selection of past cases
- Represented a German fibre optic manufacturer in an ad hoc arbitration against an Indian manufacturer of picture tubes concerning the enforcement of claims under a license and use agreement about technological know-how.
- Represented several minority shareholders of an aviation company concerning damage claims because of alleged violations of the REACH regulation.
- Represented a company against a supplier’s claims because of an environmental incident on the company’s premises.
Mandates as arbitrator
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC-administered arbitration over a license agreement.
- Presiding arbitrator in an ICC-administered arbitration concerning disputes between two companies from the pharmaceutical industry regarding, among other things, license agreements.