Kathrin Asschenfeldt advises clients in complex legal disputes and acts as counsel in international arbitration and state court litigation proceedings. She is also working as arbitrator. Kathrin advises clients on disputes in all areas of commercial law, often in cross-border matters. She has particular expertise in corporate disputes, post-M&A proceedings, D&O liability cases, and disputes regarding real estate and financial transactions. She is also experienced in negotiating and litigating large-volume contracts with technical backgrounds. Moreover, her work concerns maritime-related disputes, sanctions, and antitrust damage claims.
Kathrin has experience from both working for a major international law firm and as an in-house counsel. Before joining BAUMANN Resolving Disputes, she was a counsel for Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer’s Dispute Resolution practice group in Hamburg. Subsequently, she worked in Singapore as General Counsel for the Schulte Group, an international shipping company. In August 2022, Kathrin Asschenfeldt joined BAUMANN Resolving Disputes as a partner.
Wirtschaftswoche 2022 and Leaders League 2023 list Kathrin Asschenfeldt as a “highly recommended lawyer” for international arbitration. Furthermore, Leaders League 2023 highlights her as a “recommended lawyer” for commercial litigation. Moreover, Kathrin is recognized by Handelsblatt / Best Lawyers among Germany’s Best Lawyers for Arbitration & Mediation, International Arbitration and Litigation.
Kathrin Asschenfeldt advises her clients in German, English, and French.
Partner, BAUMANN Resolving Disputes, Hamburg
|2021–2022||General Counsel, Schulte Group, Singapore|
|2009–2021||Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, Dispute Resolution practice group, Hamburg|
|2007–2009||Legal Trainee (Referendariat) at the Hanseatic Higher Regional Court, Hamburg|
|2000–2006||Law Studies at Bielefeld University, University of Münster, and Université Paris Nanterre (Maîtrise en Droit International et Européen)|
- German Arbitration Institute (DIS)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Hamburg Arbitration Circle e. V.
- German Maritime Arbitration Association (GMAA)
- Competition Litigation Forum (C-L-F)
- Mission Female
- Advised a large real estate company regarding damage claims against tax consultants for breach of their advisory duties.
- Advising a US IT company in a dispute concerning outstanding fees and damages under a software licensing agreement.
- Provided strategic advice to a large number of claimants regarding the assertion of antitrust damage claims against several cartelists.
- Advised a distribution company regarding claims against a supplier for failure to deliver.
- Defended an international automotive supply group in a Post M&A arbitration (DIS) against an indemnity claim for antitrust matters. *
- Represented a major financial institution in ad hoc arbitration proceedings against former board members regarding damage claims based on breach of duties related to complex financial transactions. Simultaneously, negotiated a settlement with a consortium of international D&O insurers. *
- Presiding arbitrator in a dispute administered by the DIS concerning alleged breaches of guarantees in a share purchase agreement (Post M&A).
(* = Kathrin Asschenfeldt advised these clients before joining BAUMANN Resolving Disputes.)
“Climate Change Litigation: A Global Movement? Developments in Southeast Asia in the Context of Recent Global Trends”, International Conference on Contested Equality: International and Comparative Legal Perspectives, University of Zurich, October 2022
“Dissenting Opinions – widersprechen oder für immer schweigen”, discussion at a DIS40 event in Frankfurt, March 2021
“Post M&A Arbitration”, lecture and panel discussion at a DIS40 autumns conference on “Post M&A and Joint Ventures”, September 2018
“Recent Developments and Challenges in Arbitration in German-Chinese Business Transactions”, lecture on the occasion of German-Chinese lawyer exchange promoted by the German Federal Bar Organization, GIZ, and the All China Lawyers Association, December 2017
“Effects of Insolvency on Arbitration in Germany”, lecture at a joint DIS40 Hamburg and YAWP event on “International Arbitration and Insolvency: Arbitral Practice and Legislative Developments”, October 2017
“Recent Developments of Third Party Joinder in International Arbitration” (together with Lisa-Marie Ross), Journal of International Arbitration (J. Int’l Arb.), Volume 39, Issue 5 (2022) pp. 691-718
“Zur (Un-)Zulässigkeit einer Dissenting Opinion in Schiedsverfahren nach deutschem Schiedsverfahrensrecht“ (together with Prof. Dr. Patrick Schroeder), ZIP 2020, 1847 – 1853